Friday, April 06, 2007

Monthly Book/Magazine Reviews

I just picked up the Spring 2007 copy of Interweave Knits and WOW what a great spring issue. Spring and summer issues of knitting magazines are a gamble. Sometimes they are great and sometimes they are so-so. Whereas the Fall and Winter issues (especially any holiday issues) are pretty consistantly great.

Anyway, there are a nice, fun, exciting variety of patterns from socks to skirts and pillows to purses. Not to mention some great summer "sweaters". I especially LOVED the Entrelac Socks by Eunny Jang. I am a sock knitter first and formost and have made several pairs of entrelac socks in my illustrious career but none of them were as exciting as this pair from Eunny! You know I will be making them as soon as I find some suitable yarn from the stash. Or maybe, I should order some special just for this project and leave the stash alone. Yeah! that sounds like even more fun. After all new yarns, fresh from my favorite stores are always more exciting and the stash usually doesn't like to be bothered with a bunch of my rummaging around. I wonder what fun yarn KnitPicks has that would work? OH! I have some Gloss that I recently ordered from KnitPicks that would be perfect! I am sure the stash wouldn't mind. After all the Gloss hasn't quite made it into a permanent Stash container yet so it's not officially part of the stash yet. For those of you who aren't familiar with Gloss it is a fingering weight yarn that is fairly new to the KnitPicks line. It's fiber content is 70% merino and 30% silk (one of my favorite fiber combinations). I had originally purchased the yarn for some socks for my husband, but since he doesn't know I purchased it he will never know the difference.

With that decided, the next exciting thing that I discovered in this issue was an article on Joan McGowan-Michael. If you are not familiar with this name how about her designs? She is the designer of the White Lies lingerie and other extremely beautiful knitted items. I consider the woman to be an absolute genius designer. She can design things to knit that most people wouldn't be able to create with fabric. I look at her work and think WOW!!! WOW!!! who knew you could knit that!!! Anyway, the most exciting part of the article was the announcement that she has a book of patterns coming out THIS SPRING!!! The title is Knitting Lingerie Style (Stewart, Tabori & Chang) and I can't wait. I've already began haunting the stores looking for it. There will definately be a critique posted here when I get it.

My No-Sweat Pants are 3/4 of the way done. What a fun, but basic project they have been. I will post a picture of me wearing them when I finish. So watch for that in my next post. Until then...........

HAPPY KNITTING!

No comments: