Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Mittens and An Anniversary Present for Me

Ok, as promised, here are the mittens I made for HB.



Aren't they cool? HB LOVES them. I am so glad. I made some cashmere fingerless mitts to wear over them or inside of them so that he can use them for ice fishing. Unfortunately when I told him that is what I made the mittens and liners for he gave me a horrified look and said, "I will NOT wear these ice fishing! It would ruin them! I will wear them for driving. And when I am not wearing them for driving they should be framed and put on the wall for art." He is so silly!

The pattern is one I bought on Ravelry. They are called "Fisherman's Mittens". The Son put in his order for a pair as soon as he saw his dad's. So, I will be making more--sometime.

I have learned two valuable lessons while making these mittens.

1. Always keep the finished mitten with you when you go to make the second mitten. This will hopefully keep you from making two "Right Hand" mittens. (Hege will appreciate this info.) I made the mistake of leaving the first "Right Hand" mitten at home while I worked on the other one in the car, at appointments, etc. BIG MISTAKE! Only after completely finishing the second mitten and presenting them to HB did I realize I had made two "Right Hand" mittens. Swearing and name calling (at the, and of the mittens) ensued. I WAS SO MAD (insanely angry) at myself. I recovered though and managed to make a "Left Hand" mitten.

2. Use the best possible short "finger" knitting needles you can buy! I have tried several different types and brands. Finally, I found some made by Skacel--Addi the other day in Blazing Needles. THE BEST! Making the thumb is my least favorite knitting thing to do--even less favorite than hand sewing, and you all know how much I hate that! These needles were PERFECT, even better than all of the wooden and bamboo ones I have tried. As a result, I may make that second pair for The Son.

Anyway, with that said, this was my anniversary present:
I realize that most of you out there are saying, "Oh boy" (heavy sarcastic inflection here). Actually, if you look closely at the second picture you will see why HB bought them for me. See the selection of washing cycles? "Washable Wool" is on there. HB, knowing that I love superwash wool so much that I have actually written a poem called, "Ode to Superwash Wool", he thought that I would find that cycle especially wonderful. And he was right!! Someone at GE obviously has a knitter in their life! Who else, besides a knitter or someone close to a knitter, would think to put a "Washable Wool" cyle in a washing machine. The dryer also has a retractable rack that you can lay various (meaning socks, sweaters, etc) on to "air dry" quickly without felting them. YEAH ME! He also bought me a whole bucket (basket, huge bag, barrel, whatever large container you can think of) of some of my favorite yarns. Ya, that's why I married him.
Well, now that I have made all of you knitters jealous.......Happy knitting!

3 comments:

Awesome Mom said...

Quit bragging! :P

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

Those mits look like they'd taken you years to knit.

Great work!!!

Cloudberry said...

Great mittens! And it's so great to hear that the the one you knit for really love the item!
Jorid has a lot of great patterns - I really like the cat socks ;)
And yeah, I really should keep the first mitten in eyesight... I haven't ripped it yet, and I'm thinking of ripping both aand knit up a new pair ;)

And I'm so glad to hear that you are happy at your new place.