Monday, June 09, 2008

When It Rains It Pours

We are currently mourning the loss of HoneyBunny's career. He brought home 75% of our household income. Now it's gone. The doctor wants him to be on disability for the next two to three months to see if it makes any difference in his back pain. If not then she will put him on permanent disability. (For those of you that don't know, HoneyBunny broke his L5 vertebrae in the oil field about six years ago and has had four surgeries to try to stabilize the area. As one IME doctor put it, he has a "failed back". The latest development is that his feet keep swelling up so much he can't wear shoes and they hurt so bad he can't walk without a cane and even then it's "OOoo! Eeee! Owwww!" every step of the way. His stress and blood pressure levels are off the chart. And for those of you saying, "Well what about Workman's Comp.?" HA! Don't ever think that just because you get hurt that your insurance company is going to take care of you! Those people only exist to TAKE your money. They have no intention of EVER giving ANY of it back or providing you with any of the benefits that your money is supposed to be paying for! Regardless of how hurt you are. And on top of that, the Workman's Comp. in our state has no obligation to pay for any re-training should you loose your job as a result of your injury.)

Ya, so you can guess where we are at! I am so upset I can't even knit and I have managed to get myself so stressed out and tired--from lack of sleep--that I am very sick today. I started getting a terribly sore throat and a raging headache last night and things have not improved today.

AND! on top of all of this our congregation at church has grown so much over the last few years that they have had to draw up new boundaries and divide us up. I feel like my entire support system just crashed. My dearest friends and the leader of our congregation are going to be "in the other group" and I am going to be in the new one. I cried most of the day yesterday.

I am so ready for something good to happen! You have no idea!

5 comments:

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

Wow, I had no idea.

Here in Canada, worker's comp sounds like a breeze compared to your state. From those I've spoken to, it becomes almost instanteous that retraining becomes the norm. They don't want to have you on their payroll any longer than necessary and even if it means taking a lesser paying job, they substitute the difference in what you are making and what you had been working for many of the times.

I know it seems when it rains it pours but I'm sure you'll see yourself through this in the end and all will come to together.

PS Send me your email and I'll post the instructions regarding the music playlist you requested.

Keep your chin up, you remain in our prayers.

Cloudberry said...

I'm so sorry things are the way they are for you.
And I really hope you'll have some happy days soon!

Delusional Knitter said...

I hope things start turning around for you soon!! HUGS!!

Awesome Mom said...

Oh Tama I am so sorry that things keep piling on to you and your family. I hope that there is a ray of hope near by for you.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about all of this. I can really sympathise wiht your husband's back pain and being laid off work due to disability is not much fun especially when it's the main earner. And what a cruel thing for your church to do. Surely if you go to your church leaders and expalin just how much you need thier support right now they can put you back in the other group. Soudns like a strange thing to do. Surely it's a choice who you go to church with. Look after yourself during all of this and my prayers are with you all.

x