Monday, October 08, 2007

Yeah for Halloween!!!!

It's no secret that Halloween is my favorite holiday. However, there are those who give you a funny look if you tell them that you like Halloween better than Christmas. Don't get me wrong, I like Christmas, it's just that Christmas isn't ....... I don't know, it just isn't Halloween. Plus, being the "forever actress", I love to dress up!! Halloween was always so much fun for me even growing up. My mother always made us the best costumes--no princesses, clowns, fairies, etc.--no we had to be something scary. Dracula, vampires, ghosts, witches, mummies, etc., because, after all, "that is what Halloween is all about". See, we've forgotten that on All Hallows Eve all of the evil spirits come out and it takes a scary costume to keep their spirits away from us (this is the original belief and my mother believed that we should stick with tradition).

So...Here we are at my house during Halloween.....

1. Family portaits of Halloween past.

2. Welcome mat.

3. Welcome sign.
4. My witch hat, adorable fat toad, and new afghan. (Note the spider web curtains! Made them last year! LOVE THEM!)
5. Cauldron complete with fire underneath (thanks Martha! great idea) and wall decorations--yes that is a real, but quite dead, tarantula.
6. Plant stand and glowing pumpkin.
7. Front door decorations. Unfortuately for all of us that live in this house, the grim reaper guy scares each one of us at some point every year. You know, you get up in the middle of the night to use the restroom, or worse--to see what's making that noise outside, and suddenly there he is peeking in the window. I have heard my son actually scream like a little girl at the sight of him in the night and then start giggling when he realized what he saw.
8. And last, the table display. The nifty little witch has graced my Halloween's all of my life. I don't know when my mom got her but she has been there every Halloween that I can remember and now she is there for my children's Halloween as well.

There you have it. Halloween at my house. I have a Halloween wish too. My favorite Halloween tale is "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow", and for as long as I can remember I have wanted to dress up, all in black, and ride a black horse all around town, down the dark side streets carrying a lighted pumpkin on Halloween night. Wouldn't that be fun!!!!! I'll bet I could scare BIG kids with that one.
Yeah for Halloween!



2 comments:

Fiber Chic said...

Wow! You really go all out for Halloween!
I think one year we put out orange Christmas lights...another year we got this humungous spider on the roof....and I thougt that was scary!

Cloudberry said...

Your afghan with the skeletons is so cool!! I checked out your pants, and they look great! Wish I had a pair ;)
In the new book I bought (- the one I'm knitting the red sweater form), there is a pattern for a pair of pants. I might have to knit them. Yours looks so cosy - perfect for cuddling up in the sofa with a cup of tea and knit!